SUDBURY – The latest edition of Canadian Junior Hockey League’s Pointstreak Top 20 rankings released Monday see a trio of Northern Ontario Junior Hockey League clubs garnering recognition.
The Kirkland Lake Gold Miners and Soo Thunderbirds were tabbed 12th and 14th respectively while the Elliot Lake Wildcats earned honourable mention status in the listings, which are compiled in conjunction with International Scouting Services.
Kirkland Lake (30-6-2-2) sits atop the NOJHL overall standings with 64 points while Sault Ste. Marie (28-5-1-5) are just two in arrears with 62 while also holding one game in hand.
As for the first-year Wildcats they are just five points shy of the Gold Miners with 59.
Elliot Lake (28-9-2-1) has gone 7-0-1 in their past eight contests.
Winners of 12 straight, the 2015 RBC Cup host Portage Terriers of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League remain the No. 1 side in the 129-team CJHL boasting a 47-2-2 mark in the MJHL.
Another surging club, the Spruce Grove Saints of Alberta, are riding a 16-game win streak and are once again slotted in the No. 2 spot in the CJHL.
The Carleton Place Canadians moved up to No. 3 nationally as the Central Canada Hockey League front runners moved up two slots this week in the rankings.
The following is the Pointstreak CJHL top 20 rankings along with five honourable mention teams for the period ending Feb. 1:
POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20
RANK TEAM (LEAGUE) (LAST WEEK)
1. Portage Terriers (MJHL) (1)
2. Spruce Grove Saints (AJHL) (2)
3. Carleton Place Canadians (CCHL) (5)
4. Camrose Kodiaks (AJHL) (3)
5. Penticton Vees (BCHL) (4)
6. Aurora Tigers (OJHL) (7)
7. Melfort Mustangs (SJHL) (6)
8. Trenton Golden Hawks (OJHL) (8)
9. Woodstock Slammers (MHL) (9)
10. Fort Frances Lakers (SIJHL) (10)
11. Kindersley Klippers (SJHL) (11)
12. Kirkland Lake Gold Miners (NOJHL) (12)
13. Brooks Bandits (AJHL) (14)
14. Soo Thunderbirds (NOJHL) (13)
15. Georgetown Raiders (OJHL) (15)
16. Ottawa Jr. ‘A’ Senators (CCHL) (16)
17. Nanaimo Clippers (BCHL) (17)
18. Pembroke Lumber Kings (CCHL) (19)
19. Dieppe Commandos (MHL) (HM)
20. College Francais de Longueuil (QJHL) (HM)
Honourable Mention: Elliot Lake Wildcats (NOJHL), Nipawin Hawks (SJHL), Steinbach Pistons (MJHL), Winnipeg Blues (MJHL), Cobourg Cougars (OJHL)
ABOUT THE POINTSTREAK CJHL TOP 20 RANKINGS
The Pointstreak CJHL Top 20 weekly rankings, in conjunction with International Scouting Services (ISS), are based upon a variety of factors, including the league in which the team plays, winning percentage, win-loss record, total points accumulated, goals-for versus goals-against ratio, etc.
ABOUT THE CJHL
The Canadian Junior Hockey League is a national organization comprised of all 10 Junior A hockey leagues in Canada.
The CJHL represents 129 teams and nearly 3,000 players and has just as many former players furthering their hockey careers at the professional, major junior and college level across North America.
For latest CJHL news and features, visit www.cjhlhockey.com and follow on Twitter at twitter.com/cjhlhockey or @cjhlhockey.